Tuesday, August 4, 2009

The Journey is one step closer...

I’m getting really excited about the adventure that lies ahead of me! I am home now but I spent the entire month of July in Chicago going to several different orientations: ESL Training, ELCA Specific Orientation, Ecumenical Mission Personnel Orientation, and finally the Summer Missionary Conference in Kenosha, WI. The people who I have met here are absolutely amazing. It’s a comfort to know that these are the people I will be calling my support system through this new adventure in my life. We have been called to different countries, for different jobs, and for different lengths of time, but we all have been called. Orientation really gave us a chance to get to know one another and to build those relationships that will last through out our mission experience, not to mention we all gave each other awesome places to come visit!

It astonishes me all the amazing places we are going to. Varying levels of expertise required, varying languages to learn, those of us who still are not quite sure what our job is going to look like once we get there, and then there are others who have already been living in their place of call and serving God there. I am very excited about the opportunities that lie ahead of me and all the amazing places I plan on visiting as well. God has truly called me to an amazing job and I cannot wait to start it.

During our Ecumenical Orientation, one of the bible studies consisted of watching this video, and although his purpose was not religious, it still had the power to move many people to tears. I take this video as a sign of what someone can do and where they can go when God is on their side. Also those of us who have never been to the country we are serving, it was amazing to see them in this video, whether its Japan, Hong Kong, or Papua New Guinea they were all there. All the amazing places God has made for us to visit, and wants us to go. I truly believe God wants us to understand and know all cultures and a video like this has helped me to realize that it is possible and can happen. There are people all over the world who need help, and I need the help to understand. God’s work is never done.

Hebrews 13:1-3 Let mutual love continue. Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for by doing that some have entertained angels without knowing it. Remember those in prison, as though you were in prison with them; those who are being tortured, as though you yourselves were being tortured.

No comments:

Post a Comment