Saturday, December 11, 2010

Advent versus Christmas

I love to travel; I think that is of no secret to anyone who knows me. For as long as I can remember I have loved being on the move and going to new places. When I was younger we used to drive from Wisconsin to Arkansas to visit family, but my parents were smart and did it at night while we were asleep. I also remember driving around Wisconsin and Michigan with my grandparents in their motor home. Also, taking into consideration I lived in Arkansas and went to college in Indiana, I’m pretty sure I could do that drive half way asleep and still make every turn on that 10 hour journey. Most families in America take road trips, and it’s become some what of a past time. After all getting there is half the fun right?

Well…actually…. I am not one who subscribes to that philosophy of life. I do not enjoy long road trips; I enjoy getting to my destination in a fast, efficient way. Maybe it is because I’m impatient, maybe it’s because I become bored easily if I’m not driving, maybe it’s because I am in charge if I’m driving and there is too much to worry about. For me, getting there is a hassle not an enjoyment. To the chagrin of my best friend Valerie, I absolutely love O’Hare airport, the hustle and bustle of the people there, the different languages that are spoken, and most importantly the massage chairs at Brookstone in concourse C. I have my flying routine down, my frequent flier miles on several airlines, and have probably been to every major airport in the Continental United States, yup that’s me, I love flying. I love getting to the destination in under 4 hours, and I love the window seat. I am not one who enjoys the journey.


With that stated, I have always loved Christmas. Advent was just a season where I got to tape up my animal up on our family’s advent calendar (I always had the cat on the third day) and eat my piece of Advent chocolate. Advent was something that was a chore, until the blessed day of Christmas when I got to open my presents. Advent was the journey and Christmas was the destination. I therefore looked forward to Christmas and counted down the days impatiently like most children do.

Christmas has a tendency to be quite commercialized these days. The Christmas ornaments, the Christmas lights on the house, who sent or received the most Christmas cards, the perfect stockings hung by the fire place, the candy canes, visiting Santa at the mall, the Christmas music constantly playing since the Friday after Thanksgiving….I think you get the point. We have successfully almost removed everything from the Christmas season that we are supposed to be celebrating, the awaiting and the birth of Christ.

Christmas here in Japan has definitely taken on a different role for me, the commercialization is still here but in a form that is different from my usual traditions so the impact is slightly less. (But don’t worry Mariah Carey’s All I want for Christmas is You plays in EVERY store here) Christmas is a very important holiday but without the tree, presents, warm fireplace, and family it has taken on a new role for me. The holiday season has become much more about Advent for me. The waiting and the preparation for the coming of Christ. Much like the excitement when someone is expecting a child, we are expecting Jesus. The journey of Advent has meant more to me here in Japan, despite the fact I still can’t understand the Sunday sermons, you can feel the difference in the church. The advent wreath is lit with such reverence here, and the church color of purple is every where in my church. A color that symbolizes hope, the hope that our Savior’s birth is coming soon, a hope that we hold dear the true meaning of Christmas.

So this year especially, it is about the journey for me. It’s about advent, and being with friends, decorating offices and churches, and spending time together. Having end of the year parties, as we await the New Year and the coming of Christ. This year Advent holds more meaning than Christmas Day will, for my Christmas Day will be spent in an airport…fitting, right? So this Advent I ask that you wait with me and look forward to the joy of our Savior’s birth, enjoy the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment